Thursday, June 30, 2016

Lupus Made My Hair Funky?

Hello everyone!!

I was inspired to do this blog post after looking in the mirror one morning. My alarm clock went off. I snoozed it ;) Eventually got out of bed to get ready for work. 

While brushing my teeth, I looked up to the mirror and saw my hair. Half of it was wavy and the other half was straight. My initial reaction was "what they heck?" and my second was to chuckle. 

For those of you who do not know, I was diagnosed with Lupus, an autoimmune disease, in July 2010. You can read more about my story here

One of the side effects of having Lupus is hair fall out. My hair fall out was pretty severe after my diagnosis. It was traumatic and difficult to deal with. You can read that story here. In Fall 2014, my hair started to fall out again. Not as much as it did initially in 2010, but enough to make me feel like this was happening all over again. It lasted for about 3 months and my hair grew back. Then in Fall 2015, it started again. This time less severe than my second experience. What is it about Fall and hair loss? I must admit, I fear the upcoming Fall season due to history repeating itself.

....back to the present, I looked up in the mirror today and saw my hair. Parts of my hair are wavy and other parts are straight.


(Excuse my poor lighting but I just had to take a picture. Impromptu style)

I've noticed this many times before since my hair started growing back. I've told my friends and family about it and we would laugh about it. 

When I looked in the mirror that morning I was reminded of how prominent the difference was. I was reminded of the trauma that I experienced but also the recovery and resurrection from it. And I suppose it adds humor to the seriousness of Lupus and the hair fall out trauma.

BUT DANG!! It totally looks like I half did my hair. LOL

As funky as my hair is after it grew back, I am so grateful and thankful that it did grew back. Hair is important to us females. I had a lot of it before. It was hard to see it fall in clumps.

I have most of my hair back now. It may be half straight and half wavy, but it's still my hair. And it's a reminder that I can still kick Lupus in the butt!

Xoxox

2 comments:

  1. Your story is so inspiring.

    Hair does mean a lot to us girls. It's apart of our identity.

    I have a cousin with lupus and I've witnessed similar things, and I can only be empathetic because I've seen her journey.

    You are kicking butt, and although you may be frustrated with how your hair has changed, your hair still looks fabulous and it looks healthy! And different styles can help hide the things you don't like. <3

    Natasha
    www.natashasolae.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your kind words. i hope your cousin is doing well. xoxoxo

      Delete