Monday, April 25, 2016

Monday Sayings: Take Care of Yourself

Hello everyone!

Happy Monday!

Now, I'm not going to front and say that I'm the healthiest eater ever or that I'm the most fittest, but I try.
I have been working in the healthcare/medical field since 2008, mostly with the geriatric population. I've seen seniors who for whom age was nothing but a number. And of course, I saw seniors who lived with challenges due to medical and physical conditions.

As I get older, my experiences and I suppose, wisdom collection, has inspired me to make better choices now because my choices now have an impact on my life later on.

I contract with a major hospital in Los Angeles. In the stairwell are inspirational quotes that you find walking up. I try to take the stairs as much as possible for exercise and for feel-goodness (lol, I'm so articulate). I love cheesy quotes of all kinds! The quotes help make the steps bearable. At the same time, they motivate me to eat well and to stay active.






This last quote is actually my favorite and, to me, the most powerful of the three. I think it speaks volumes in terms of what we do to our bodies now has a big impact later in life.

For someone like me, a person with Lupus, I have to work 10x harder at being healthy because my body is already working against me without me having to try.

Lupus is an autoimmune disease which means Lupus patients have an immune system that is overactive. For a healthy, "normal" individual, the immune system is able to distinguish between the good and bad cells and fights the bad. For an individual with Lupus, the immune system cannot distinguish between the good and the bad cells so it destroys both. When your body is attacking the good cells, you get sick. Sick can mean different things for a Lupus patient - arthritic problems, kidney failure, skin issues, etc. To read more about my Lupus story, click here.

I walk the stairs of this hospital as motivation and a reminder that I need to take care of myself now because my actions now, or lack there of, will catch up with me later.

Take care of yourselves, friends! 

Our now is the future.


Xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment