Sunday, October 20, 2013

Old New Post: One Year Purple Anniversary


Here's a past entry on what I call Purple Anniversaries.This is from 2011. Enjoy :D

--

Today marks the last day of what I like to call my purple anniversary.

Two years ago, I was hospitalized on July 12 – July 17, 2010. Maybe two years is still too soon for me to completely forget, but I remember that experience as if it were yesterday. It still brings me to tears, but it also makes me so much more grateful knowing that I am surrounded by supportive family and friends. I am also so thankful and blessed that I am as healthy as I can be, despite having a chronic illness. I definitely thank the Lord for never turning away in providing me faith, strength, and good health.

Since my diagnosis in July 2010, I have made it a point to celebrate the week of my hospitalization of July 12 – 17 every year. I designate this week as my Lupus purple anniversary. It is important for me to celebrate life because life could have been so easily taken away, but it wasn’t and so for that, I will celebrate. It's my way of saying, "F*ck you, Lupus! I'm still here!" It’s like my new birthday, an excuse to throw a little party.

So let's reminisce on my one year anniversary in 2011:
 

My one year anniversary was so special to me because it was my first. We always remember our firsts, don't we? ;] I have always wanted to try the famous Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles. Despite not liking chicken, I just wanted to try to it. To my expectation, the chicken tasted like chicken (but I guess that’s not a bad thing) and it was okay. After my chicken dinner, my friends and I went to a gelato store in Santa Monica. As I enjoyed my pink grapefruit gelato ice cream, my friends and I enjoyed the music of a street performer. In the evening, we walked the boardwalk of the beach. I looked far across into the distant waters and briefly reflected on how my life has changed. Despite the change, life was still good. It was nice to be at the beach, as day time hours limits my beach trips because of the sun. Going in the evening was like telling Lupus, “I can still be here.” It was definitely a great adventure with them. We looked pretty spiffy, all dressed in purple (which I made them do) holding their purple party favors. 


Because it was my first anniversary, I went celebration crazy and held another one with school friends. We went to a sushi restaurant in Panorama City. It was supposed to be a celebration of life, but it felt like my birthday! My amazing friends showered me with gifts. It was very much unexpected, but very much appreciated. Celebrating with my friends was supposed to be a “thank you for your support” throughout the year. They always made sure we sat at a shaded area during lunch. Whenever I was absent from school or not feeling well, I was hit with texts and calls checking in to make sure I was okay. It was very sweet of them and I very much felt cared for. The night ended with countless pictures of all of us in our purple garb. This is definitely one of my fondest memories, because it had some of the most essential ingredients to happiness: food, laughter, love, and good friends. 


I am celebrating my second year anniversary a little late this year due to scheduling conflicts, but it is happening! Like I had mentioned above, my anniversary is now like a birthday, it must be celebrated! 



So take time to celebrate life. It's too precious to take for granted. As the saying goes these days, "YOLO." You Only Live Once so celebrate. Happy anniversary to all you living with lupus <3



With that, my celebration of life continue this year. My second year purple anniversary plans include a wine and cheese party. 



Look forward to a new post with pictures of my second year anniversary sometime soon so please STAY TUNED


<3<3<3

No comments:

Post a Comment