Thursday, September 25, 2014

Im Cabaret, Au Cabaret, To Cabaret!


Last Saturday, I watched a live showing of my favorite musical ever - CABARET! 

My English teacher in high school was very theatrical. I am so thankful she introduced the 1972 movie version with Liza Minnelli to us. I fell in love and it's been one of most favorite productions of anything of all time!! 

If you like musicals, Cabaret is definitely one to check out if you haven't heard of it already. Don't be fooled though. Musicals typically sound "happy." This is a dark musical but with many lessons to be learned!

It takes place in Berlin right before the Nazis come to power. It highlights social and political issues that still parallel today's societal issues. I am not going to give a full synopsis of the film or preach about social issues. I'm not trying to make a political or social statement.

In a nutshell, it is a drama of love, lust, passion, political and social dismay, avoiding reality, change and acceptance.

The movie is amazing, but seeing it live in front of me was 10x more absolutely amazing. Still, no one (in my book) can beat out the voices of Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey, but the live cast is still very talented. Their voices were powerful. Their acting moving. I got goosebumps on several occasions and even teared up a few times. 

GAHHH...Pardon me, I'm totally gushing. I just really really really love this musical if I haven't made it clear already. I love it so much I am seeing it again in two weeks and possibly a third time. Obsessed, I know. I just really adore talent and a classic!

WHAT I WORE:

I apologize. This is a very sloppy "What I Wore" as I just didn't have much time to take better photos. I took this while waiting for my curling iron to heat up.


Cabaret is very out there in fashion. At least for the women, it's flashy, it's raunchy, it's edgy, it's gaudy. After all, it is a cabaret. When I think of Cabaret, I think of the color schemes black, white and red which is what I went for.

Let's use our imagination!

I wore these black and white vertically striped leggings with a black floral print. I wore a black short sleeved peplum top. My shoes of choice were black booties with a small heel. 

As for hair, I had it curly and big (which deflated in about an hour, lol). My eyes were a dramatic black wing with heavy mascara. And lastly, I wore a bright red lip.


Black red nails inspired from a picture I saw on Pinterest. It never looks like the picture! :( Close enough, I suppose.

My friend and I dressed in the spirit of Cabaret. We walked in only to stick out like a fish out of water. We were the youngest ones there (everyone else was a lot older - like gray-haired older - and in casual clothes). Compared to these folks, my friend and I looked like we really belonged to the Cabaret.

Oh well, I guess I shall consider myself an old soul.

Enjoy

<3<3<3


2 comments:

  1. I would never have thought I would like a live show until I saw one in person. I always tell people to experience it just once. Glad you were able too! I love the legging and it look like it was a super cute outfit to.

    >_< the nails still look cute though and nothing I ever do look like the picture...so you fine LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cool and interesting. I heard of Cabaret but never seen it.

    ReplyDelete