Sunday, March 22, 2015

Review: Rimmel Provocalips

I know there are tons of blog posts and video reviews about the new Rimmel Provocalips 16Hr Kissproof Lip Color. 

Everyone's experience is different. And everyone's lips are different. Some lipsticks do better on some and not so good on others. That's why I enjoy doing these reviews despite the countless reviews out there.

THE COLORS:

Make Your Move, I'll Call You, Little Mynx, Heartbreaker, Play With Fire, Kiss Fatal


Make Your Move, I'll Call You, Little Mynx, Heartbreaker, Play With Fire, Kiss Fatal

My faves are Make Your Move and Play With Fire. I wore Kiss Fatal once and I did like it too, but I don't remember how much I liked it. I do remember it not being as purple as I had hoped, definitely not like the packaging color. I also see myself wearing I'll Call You throughout spring.

Little Mynx was way too bright for my taste. Heartbreaker reminded me of a more mature red. I gave both away.

THE PROCESS:
It is a two step application process:
1. Apply color
2. Apply clear coat

MY LIPS LOWDOWN
Before I talk about the wear power, I just want to give you the lowdown on my lips. My lips are weird and annoying. They cannot take lip products for a long time. Take the NYX Matte Lip Creams for example. Within 30 minutes, the lipstick is peeling in my inner lips. Then there are others who can wear this for hours and eat and nothing come off. "Long wear" has never worked for my lips. You know how people say their lashes can't hold a curl? Well, my lips can't hold lipstick.

WEAR TEST: Make Your Move

9am - Pretty glossy, pretty fresh

1:20pm - The glossiness has disappeared (which I prefer), but you can see peeling on the top of my bottom lip

1:20pm touch-up - I only touched up where lipstick had worn off

5pm - It looked worse in person. I ended up dragging the color off the bottom lip and applying a similar lipstick color

FINAL THOUGHTS

Wear time: It does last longer than normal lipsticks (and definitely longer than the coveted NYX Matte Lip Cream). 

The pros: It is long wearing, so long wearing that you need makeup remover to remove the lipstick. I definitely need it to remove the pigment on my upper lip.

The cons: Because you do need makeup remover, it makes touchups challenging. It gets pretty cakey and chunky after reapplying. However, the longer the lipstick is on, the more apt I am able to wipe it off but with great pressure. I try to wipe off (usually my bottom lip) the lipstick and start over. Because Make Your Move is a "your lips but better" color, I can get by with the fading color as it is less noticeable. If I were to wear a more vibrant color like I'll Call You, the signs of wear would be more prominent because there would be chunks of color missing. You would be able to see it even on my top lip with a more vibrant color. I do not wear this lipstick if I am not able to take my time touching up just because it does get cakey. For an event that's a few hours, it would be perfect.

Drying?: Yes and no. If I apply a lip balm beneath the lip color, I will be fine. I do not know if this is just me, but the more vibrant the color, the more drying it felt. Applying lip balm on top helps for a few hours. I do recommend lip balm before application.

Mess-free: I love that I can kiss my nephew and my boyfriend and not see remnants of lipstick on them. I do see pieces of color on my straw or food (like bread, for example), but definitely not as much as it would have been with normal lipstick. 

Would I repurchase? I would say yes. I do want to try other similar lipsticks, but I am a fan of the Rimmel Provocalips. It's not perfect, but it will do for now. This is definitely the longest wearing lipstick I have ever worn. 

Have you tried these bad boys?

If so, what do you think?

<3<3<3

2 comments:

  1. Great review...I don't have these but I do know the residue of lipsticks are something that is bother me big time now. I may have to check these out.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an informative review! Cakey lip stains are a great pet peeve of mine and I tend to fall in love with the bright colours which are all the more noticeable!! Little Mynx is my favourite from your swatches :) x

    Miss Imogen Smith

    ReplyDelete