Thursday, April 2, 2015

TBT: I Left My Heart In Hawaii

There is not a day that goes by that I do NOT think about Hawaii. I've been missing the island tenfold these last few weeks.

The summer after college graduation in 2008, I had the opportunity to finish one more class in Hawaii. I studied at the University of Hawaii, Manoa, for 5 weeks.

Hands down, those 5 weeks were the best 5 weeks of my life.

You know that song my Tony Bennett, "I Left My Heart In San Francisco"? Well, I left mine in Hawaii. Tony Bennett, I know what you mean.

I know it's different to have visited Hawaii and to actually live in Hawaii.

There is just something about that island that makes me feel at peace...

Perhaps it's the only place in the United States that is somewhat closest to the Philippines in essence?

I am an island girl. It is in my blood, it is in my heart, it is in my soul.

The Philippines is a slower-paced country. Hawaii is slower paced than Los Angeles where I live, but not as slow as the Philippines. And I love it. And I want it.

I contemplated applying for a job in Maui, but it's Maui. I want to live in Oahu. I need to think about my health. I have lupus. Most of the doctors, and probably "best" doctors are on Oahu and I need to be around them. Gahh...but that's a whole different discussion.

Enjoy the still moments that have captured not only my heart, but my soul and my being. I probably sound dramatic, but I just really long for this place...



Probably one of most photographed scenes: Hanauma Bay

A field where we helped with crops

I think this is Pearl Harbor? Or a place we went to before going to Pearl Harbor?



The loi'i on campus

A sacred site

Ala Moana - my favorite beach because the water was so calm it was like a pool

Waimea Falls - there was no waterfall when we got there :(

What's Hawaii without a luau?

Taro bread - something I miss and have been searching for here

My dorm

Pearl Harbor I think?

My class at PCC - Polynesian Cultural Center

Our last brunch 

The last picture I took as I arrived at the airport around 5:30am

How do I go back in time?

Oh Hawaii, I miss you dearly. 


<3<3<3

1 comment:

  1. Hey, nice blog! I will be moving to Oahu in June and it was nice to see your photos. It looks absolutly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete